This easy recipe needs a little time to put together but it’s well worth the effort! For the ultimate comfort food, serve this herby tomato seafood dish with a hunk of freshly toasted ciabatta.
- vine tomatoes 600g
- olive oil
- onion 1 large, finely chopped
- parsley a bunch, leaves roughly chopped
- garlic 2 cloves, crushed
- red chilli 1, seeded and finely diced
- white wine 125ml
- tomato purée 2 tbsp
- bay leaves 2
- fennel seeds 1 tsp, crushed
- squid tubes 800g, cleaned and cut into rings
- green olives 100g, pitted
- lemon ½, zested
- toasted ciabatta to serve
- STEP 1Heat the oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3. Blanch the tomatoes in boiling water for 2 minutes until the skins start to burst and peel off. Drain and leave to cool for a few minutes until you can handle them. Peel off the skins and discard. Chop the flesh, keeping the seeds and any juice that comes off them and tip into a bowl.
- STEP 2Heat a drizzle of oil in a casserole or heavy based ovenproof pan. Fry the onion for 10 minutes until soft, but not coloured. Add the parsley stalks, garlic and chilli and fry for a minute. Add the wine and simmer until reduced by half, then add the peeled and chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, bay and fennel seeds.
- STEP 3Bring to a simmer, add the squid, cover with a lid and cook in the oven for 45 minutes – 1 hour. After 30 minutes, add the olives, and leave the lid off if the sauce is a little thin. Keep cooking until the squid is tender, but not mushy. Stir in the parsley and lemon zest just before serving. Serve with toasted ciabatta, or cooked pasta if you like.